Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Chronicles of cooking- Part 1

I suddenly realised amidst my cooking that I have never shared anything about this passion of mine on this blog. I turned off my gas stove and here I am ready to share my innermost passion. To think of how I wrote more than 160 posts without touching this topic amazes me but then we all fall short of words when we want to express something we are very passionate of. Hence except for the slide show on the blog which shows food pics you would not come across any posts on food.

I fell in love with cooking at the age of 3. My mom and dad always supplied me with kitchen playthings and I would imitate mom. Dolls never fascinated me infact I would dismantle the dolls and use their legs and arms to make my make-believe chicken and Lamb dishes. So after a point mom quit buying me dolls. I would powder thermocol sheets and make rice out of them and break brown bangles to use them as garnished onions. Yellow lego blocks were fish fried to me and I was so obsessed with my small kitchen.

I still remember making coffee for dad in my pink cup and saucer and each time I insisted dad taste my empty cups he would remark " No sugar , Not strong enough" . I was always amused by mom's kitchen and many of you would agree with me that Indian kitchens are very colorful.

The first task mom gave me in her kitchen was to peel garlic and onions. I was 9 years old and delighted at the privilege. Very soon I realised it was a boring task and demanded to be promoted to higher tasks. But I always made it a point to make my sister who was younger to me to peel garlic as an initiation to cooking though her initiation lasted for a couple of years.

When girls of my age played hopscotch I learned to cook. And from day 1 I fell in love with the process. My dreams and make believe games were not a reality. The kitchen was my chemistry laboratory, my botanical garden. When at school I learned of vitamins and their sources I never remembered understanding them the way I did with mom.

Many of my friends thought I was mad some other thought mom made me do all the house work and I lied I enjoyed it. Many others told me I was missing a lot an average teenager should be doing. However I enjoyed mastering a skill and a hobby that was to remain with me forever.

I have friends who tell me they cant cook and everything they do ends up as a blunder. But I find cooking therapeutic , a cathartic activity. Many advise cooking as a stress buster. I agree.

I could go on and on about this passion of mine but I got more posts in future for that. For now here is a little recipe for ardent chefs.


Fenugreek seeds curry

Fenugreek seeds- 100 gm
Onion- 1
Tomato- 2
Green Chillies- 4
Coconut scraped- 1
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Salt
Oil

Soak the fenugreek seeds for a day and throw the water away ( if you are diabetic drink the water) Leave the fenugreek seeds for a day and they will sprout. Now add the chopped onions and green chillies to heated oil in a pan. When they are brown add turmeric and chilli powder followed by chopped tomatoes and salt. Add little water and make a thick gravy. Into this add the sprouted fenugreek seeds. When its cooked add the scraped coconut.

This is a very healthy dish especially for those suffering from diabetes or prone to diabetes.

I have always loved the smell of fengreek seeds hope you do too.

No comments: